Friday, March 15, 2013

TGIF

I love my job. Ask anyone who works with me. But, it also is pretty stressful. I have the privilege of promoting the rehabilitation services of one of the nation's best rehabilitation hospitals. I work with an incredible team of talented people to share patient stories, plan advertising campaigns and media. I get to plan events and work with management to strategize the future of the hospital. It's really a dream job and believe me, I know how lucky I am. 

But still ... there are days that totally stress me out and this week was full of them. I was planning to get in some strength training and yoga after work, but didn't end up leaving work until nearly 6 p.m. most evenings. And by the time I got home, I was tired, hungry and cranky - making it easy to bail on my exercise plans.

I need to think of a strategy for this. My work is not likely to get any less hectic, but I need to fit in some yoga and strength training and cycling (just because I like it) even when all I want to do is eat kettle chips and slam a beer or two. I want immediate gratification instead of earning it through a workout. Food for thought there.

Meanwhile, I'm really enjoying getting to know other marathon swimmers through the marathon swimming forum and on facebook. I'll get to meet some of these folks at the clinic in LA and again at the END-WET 27-mile swim in July.

I have a long swim planned in the morning, followed by yoga. And 15,000 yards on Sunday. I do love my weekends.

1 comment:

  1. << And by the time I got home, I was tired, hungry and cranky - making it easy to bail on my exercise plans.>>

    I am quite familiar with this phenomenon these days. Sometimes the day just takes so much out of my mental state that I feel like I've nothing left for the bike.

    Currently, my strategy is to scrap the workout if it's a hard one and tell myself to just spin my legs out. The other approach that works is having a good friend meet me for a ride. Not a group thing, but a good friend who will make me accountable, but perhaps not expect me to be chatty or that sort of thing. Both of us just know we have goals and we're mutually committed to helping each other reach them. Just knowing that is enough to get me in gear.

    ReplyDelete