Sunday, January 26, 2014

Wear Sunsceen

Back in 1997 there was a talk-song that was popular for maybe a week or two called "Wear Sunscreen." It was the kind of speech you hear at graduations -- lots of stuff about living well, being true to yourself and not sweating the small stuff. Just found out this was authored by Baz Luhrmann. Figures. He is my favorite movie director and all around awesome human being.

But, truly, wear sunscreen or you, too, may end up with a highly unattractive gouge out of your face like mine.

Granted, this isn't the biggest deal in the world. There are folks struggling with issues much, much more serious. But still, it's a reminder to wear your damn sunscreen all the time. 

The good news is this was a tiny little blob that was quickly and completely removed by my enthusiastic dermatologist. The bad news is that it kept me out of the pool for 5 days. Turns out, that may have been good news.

Since I couldn't swim, I jogged, I rowed, I did weights and stretches and all my shoulder PT exercises. I enjoyed time with good friends and finished a book. And spent some time in cold baths.

And when I got back into the water, I felt surprisingly good! I cranked out a couple of very challenging workouts and didn't puke or pass out before the finish. 

So, all in all, this was a good week. I have another week of prep before I head to Clearwater Beach, Florida, for cold ocean swim training and, if things go well, an attempt at my 6-hour qualifying swim. Right now, water temps in Clearwater are hovering around 55 degrees, so I'm thinking warm thoughts. I really want the full 6-0 for my qualifying attempt. There will be plenty of time for more cold water swimming before the Channel and it would feel so nice to have this checked off the list. One less monkey getting a free ride on my tired shoulders.

No comments:

Post a Comment